Construction Date: 19th c.
Exterior Wall Fabric: Red Sandstone
Additional Architectural Description:
The bridge abutment is one of the few remains from the blast furnace operations carried out in Pompton Lakes during the 19th c. Built of red sandstone, the abutment stands approximately twenty feet tall, and is approximately thirty feet long by fourteen feet wide. It is shored up with wooden planks and steel strapping.
Boundary Description and Related Structures:
The abutment stands on the north side of Hemlock Road, a short distance to the east of Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike. Additional furnace remains, including a raceway, sandstone pillars, and overflow weir and stone walls are located nearby.
The sandstone abutment is the most prominent remaining feature of the 19th-century blast furnace operations, which played a significant role in the settlement of the area and in the development of the iron industry.
Ironworks operations existed at Pompton as early as 1726, although the location of the early operation is not clear. Several sources suggest that this ironworks produced ammunition for the French and Indian War during the mid-18th century, however, its participation in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 is certain. During the early 19th century, the Ironworks were the property of Martin Ryerson. They passed to Peter Ryerson in 1839 upon death of his father.
Pompton Furnace was designated an historical site on July 16, 1996.