Construction Date: 1918, 1973
Style: Stripped Classicism
Number of Stories: 3
Exterior Wall Fabric: orange brick with some trim
Fenestration: multi-paned, steel
Roof/Chimneys: flat with stepped parapet at center
Additional Architectural Description:
The Lenox School is three stories in height and three bays wide. The flat roof has a stepped parapet at the center, and “Pompton Lakes School” is inscribed in an inset stone panel. A terra cotta cornice is located above the third story. The center bay projects slightly. The central entrance is defined by a stone surround. Secondary entrances are located to each side, and identified “Boys” and “Girls.” Multi-paned steel windows are set in bands of five, and feature stone sills. The property is enclosed by a wrought iron fence.
Boundary Description and Related Structures:
The School is set back from Lenox Avenue, and bounded by twentieth-century residential structures. A playground is located to the east of the school.
The Lenox School appears on Sanborn maps of 1920 and 1929. Apparently, its shape was modified at some point during the 1920’s, as it appears as a rectangular building on the 1920 Sanborn, but is a U-shape by the time of the 1929 Sanborn. Its construction and subsequent expansion are undoubtedly the direct result of the residential expansion that surrounded it.
The School is a good example of the stripped classicism favored for school buildings constructed during this period.
Lenox School was designated an historic site on March 20, 2001.