43 Perrin Avenue is a two story, Second Empire style residence, which has been altered from its original Dutch Colonial appearance.
43 Perrin Avenue is located on a parcel of land purchased by Captain Arent Schuyler and others from the Indians in 1695. The house is said to have been built by the Van Wagenen family in 1715. The property was purchased by Schuyler’s grandson (also named Arent) in 1739. Schuyler was arrested in 1777 and imprisoned in Morristown as a Loyalist, until he pledged an oath of allegiance to the Continental Congress.
The Schuyler house served as Headquarters for the Continental Army for at least a year and a half in 1781-1782. It appears on maps drawn for the French Army, which in 1781 was traveling from Newport, Rhode Island to Yorktown, Virginia.
During the 1920’s and through the 1950’s the house was part of a boxers training camp founded by Dr. Joseph Bier. It is most prominently associated with the heavy weight champion Joe Lewis, whose memorial is located on the adjacent BPOE Elks property. In addition to Lewis, such prominent boxers as Max Baer, Sugar Ray Robinson and Jack Sharkey trained at the facility.
The Sullebarger report concluded that 43 Perrin Avenue meets Criteria A & C for
inclusion on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. Criteria A
and C correspond to the criteria of § 27-7:A (1) and (4) of the Local Ordinance.
The Schuyler House was designated an historic site on November 21, 2006.