Pompton Lakes Health Department
The Board of Health meets on the first Monday of the months of January, March, May, September and December at 6:30pm in the Municipal Council Chambers.
Board of Health Members:
Greg Smith - 3 year term to 12/31/15
Robert Brady - 3 year term to 12/31/15
Michael Morris - 3 year term to 12/31/15
Valerie Quigley - 3 year term to 12/31/16
Travis Conklin - 3 year term to 12/31/16
- 3 year term to 12/31/17
Erika Herz - 3 year term to 12/31/17
Health Department Clinics/Programs
One of the main functions of the Health Department is to prevent the premature onset of disease and disability, and to help all residents achieve healthier, more productive lives. The Health Department is committed to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the health of its residents through organized health promotion and disease prevention efforts. These efforts are based on state-wide standards set forth by New Jersey’s Department of Health.
The Health Department continues to offer a variety of clinics and programs to our residents designed to promote and maintain good health. Some of the clinics/programs offered during the year include Male and Female Cancer Screenings; SMAC Blood Chemistry Screenings twice a year; FLU clinics, Child Health Conferences; Dental Clinics – held at the Wayne Health Department; Annual Health Fair; and Blood Pressure Screenings offered to St. Mary’s seniors on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and Golden Agers on the 3rd Thursday of the month. Please check the Borough website for a current offering of programs.
The Public Health Nurse is available on Wednesday mornings from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. to administer inoculations including adult vaccinations such as shingles, flu and pneumonia. Blood pressure screenings are also available during those hours.
The Registered Environmental Health Specialist inspects all retail food establishments. In addition to food inspections the REHS inspects public swimming pools, youth camps, septic systems, and investigates public health nuisance complaints.
Please check the Borough’s website and PLTV Channel 77 for dates, times and additional information regarding clinics and programs.
Animal Control Officer
Animal Control Office (973) 838-8959
The North Jersey Community Animal Shelter (973) 850-6767
Lisa Perry, Director of Animal Services
Animal Control and Animal Shelter services are provided through a contract with the Borough of Bloomingdale. The Animal Control Officers (ACO) work to protect and preserve the well being of all animals, both domestic and wild and make public health and safety a priority as well. Rabies control is an important function that aims to protect the community and their pets. The ACO coordinates the annual Free Rabies Clinic held in the Borough of Pompton Lakes in the month of November – date and time will be announced on the Borough’s website and PLTV Channel 77. In addition, the ACO handles complaints and issues warnings/summonses for animal related violations. Animal Control will also remove and dispose of dead animals. Stray (domestic) animals are transported to the North Jersey Community Animal Shelter and/or a veterinarian facility. Animal Control is available 24/7, however, after hour calls are reserved for emergencies only.
The North Jersey Community Animal Shelter (NJ CAS) is operated by Bloomingdale’s Animal Control Department at the same Bloomingdale location, 23 Brandt Lane. To reclaim a pet or for adoptions, call the shelter directly (973) 850-6767. To report cases of neglect or cruelty please call Animal Control (973) 838-8959.
Office of Vital Statistics
Barbara Cichon, CMR, Registrar ext. 221 - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Registrar maintains records of all births, deaths, marriages and civil unions occurring within the Borough of Pompton Lakes.
- an appointment is necessary to apply for a marriage/civil union license- please contact the registrar 2-3 weeks prior to the ceremony
- documents required with the application for a marriage/civil union license include a driver’s license, passport, or State/Federal ID, proof of residency, social security card, one witness eighteen years or older, $28.00 fee payable by cash or check
- there is a seventy-two (72) hour waiting period between the time of the application and the time the license can be issued. Once the license is issued it must be used within thirty (30) days.
- the Mayor performs wedding/civil unions for residents only for an administrative fee of $100.00.
- certified copies of birth, marriage and death certificates are issued only for the events that have taken place in Pompton Lakes. Individuals requesting a copy of a record of birth, death or marriage must file an application and pay $5.00 per copy. The application form may be downloaded from the Borough’s website www.pomptonlakesgov.com
- a State or local Registrar may issue a certified copy of a vital record only to persons who establish themselves as the subject of the vital record, the subject's parent, legal guardian or legal representative, spouse, child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age, to a State or Federal Agency for official purposes, pursuant to court order.
Click here to see Required Identification
POLICY FOR REPORTING DEAD BIRDS
Passaic County Mosquito Control has announced the policy for reporting dead birds. Residents should contact their municipal health departments and/or animal control officers who are responsible for retrieving the dead bird, packaging it, and sending it to the State for West Nile Virus testing.
Many resources are available to residents who are living on a limited income and for those caring for aging parents.
Health Officer 973-835-0143 x226
Mary Ann Orapello, CMR
Public Health Nurse 973-835-0143 x225
fax • 973-835-9960 e-mail •
Registered Environmental Health Specialist 973-835-0143 x226